The blank canvas is not what inspires awe, rather it is the beauty of the colors and the manner in which they have been applied on it.... So, here I am "Passing the Paintbrush" let's see what awe we can inspire together!



Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wiki What? Is this a Transformer?

I only could think of the Whitwiki's, parents in the Transformers movie, when I read this was part of our assignment, for obvious reasons at first but then... I thought about how foreign and strange it would have been for them to have these "aliens" or machines introduced to them in their lives... how this was similar to how educators are going to be feeling as technology continues to creep into the schools and find its way into the current classroom and how and we as educators are going to have to get accustomed to having this as an element of education and of our classrooms.
How we can no longer only rely on the techniques and the information from times past. I was very excited to think about how we can pull teachers who have taught for many years into this age and get them excited about teaching again... and get them researching what they can do to make their classroom relevant today... and how we can get new teachers on board to help with this...
After clicking my way through the Wiki's I found myself questioning the use for this in the art room? Could this be an interactive way to use art criticism and allow the students to preview an artwork and then remark on it in relation to the elements and principles of art? Could this be an avenue to provide a place for students to share information they would like to learn or ideas they have about art or artwork in general?  Could this be a place to post ESNU examples? Have the students collaboratively work to grade the work and see if their understanding of the requirements is clear through their comments? This could perhaps be the best way to insure that students understand the grading expectations and the way to make those show up in their work?
I think this could definitely be something used for collaborative class projects? As compared to the example of the camping trip in the video we watched as a precursor.  Also, I loved the Counting book and how it allowed the class to work together to complete one task! I think this would work great for upper grades and students who probably know more than the average teacher about the technology and how to use it... I think it would take the participation of the parents for the younger students to use this type of technology.  I also feel that there would be a greater opportunity for us to be successful if the administration/ PTA at your school is on board and possibly using it as well for collaboration! What a great way for PTA to get feedback from parents who can't make it to their meetings but would like to participate!
I was adding a challenge to my website this year to help promote research on-line in the media center and just using background knowledge to guess sometimes. Perhaps a class wiki would be better for something like this? I felt the only thing these were missing were links and examples of where the information given was supplied. I did however, love the fact that some pages could not be changed and supplied fact or information and that others could be used as interactive educational tools.
I think education is on the verge of great change, even at the elementary level.... Loving this world I have heard of ... loving it more now that I see for myself how simple it is to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment