The blank canvas is not what inspires awe, rather it is the beauty of the colors and the manner in which they have been applied on it.... So, here I am "Passing the Paintbrush" let's see what awe we can inspire together!



Thursday, August 12, 2010

PLN: DO I Need one? Yeah!!!!

I love the idea that the Internet and all of these fabulous tools can be used to create a network of people who can not only be helpful to you but that you can learn from. One thing that meant teachers do as they get in their classrooms is stop learning... not literally of course, but it is easy to get wrapped up in the every day needs of the job and forget to have fun and learn new things that make that job more fun and exciting.  I am really enjoying the opportunities given to me so far. Every summer I pay from my pocket and sometimes travel a good distance to experience being a student again. It is not often that opportunities are offered throughout the school year, so I give up summer time to do it. I am not complaining I feel this is needed to be good and fresh for myself and my students. I also think that this allows for me to really jump in and get the latest and greatest, which is exactly what we need in today's society! As we all can probably agree the amount of information and the speed in which it is pushed in our faces is much faster than the pace we see in the classroom and the tools and cool things they use to do it are more interesting and fun than sitting on the carpet and listening to your teacher talk about something.

I think having a PLN is just one more way to get connected and use those skills others have to make your skills better and to of course not feel it is necessary to reinvent the wheel every time... I love my google reader and my ability to connect to teachers and artists all around the world, to read reviews of art exhibits in New York because I can't be there to enjoy them myself I live through the steps of those that are.  I love getting to see and read experiences that help me to maintain a level head and a  fabulous outlook on my career choice. I can honestly say, I am not one of those who taught because it was the "easy" thing to do... I do it because I love it! I love the kids and I love the art.. I love working for a more creative tomorrow and hoping that something I teach these guys sticks and that in future  I read in the paper that one of my past students is the newest New York fashion designer, or GM car designer, perhaps the next Van Gogh, or maybe even that they too have become a teacher of the arts to carry on the love of art to others! I think that creating PLN's could benefit any teacher, we just have to  get the word out and make it the standard and teach one another, so we can together be better at teaching ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment