The blank canvas is not what inspires awe, rather it is the beauty of the colors and the manner in which they have been applied on it.... So, here I am "Passing the Paintbrush" let's see what awe we can inspire together!



Saturday, June 5, 2010

Why Web 2.0

So, Why Web 2.0 you asked....

Great Question... I have an answer... late I know.... unlike me in most instances....

In my defense, Before I could answer Why Web 2.0, I needed to answer... Why with access to not one but two computers, I couldn't complete the simple task of watching and hearing a Utube video....then once I had reached a less than satisfying solution and it was accomplished... then,Why was it I struggled so with deciding on a title and why then did I feel the need to search for defintions of words....quotes...other blogs and websites before I could committ to the decided title and link name in which to be happy with.

Anyway, I felt like I was sitting before a blank canvas in painting class in college...how painting wasn't my first passion and was not where my knowledge base was focused and certainly not where my confidence could be found, and mostly was certainly not what I wanted to spend my time doing with a photo lab downstairs .  Somehow I had been placed in a room of 12 painters, some fabulous painters at that, and 12 easels holding 12 blank canvas boards, and me. I knew I was in for a long semester when I was completely intimidated by that white emptiness before me. I instantly imagined this must be how my students feel sometimes in my classroom, when given a clean piece of paper and asked to fill it up and make it interesting... Where do I start? A palette of beautiful colors and so many things I could paint, but disappointment before the first stroke of the brush touches the paper. Living in this world... with each having their own interests, strengths and weaknesses, and each bringing with them their own opinions on the world and how it works and/ or how it should work. Each wishing they were somewhere else, doing something else, sometimes I think anything else would suffice, much the same as I had felt in that painting class. They want to be watching tv and podcasts, sending texts and e-mails, reading books and doing research on-line, they want to see music now not just listen to it, they surely wouldn't choose my voice and face to set their attention on if given the choice. More and more they would rather be clicking the keys of their magical devices that place the world at their fingertips rather than running their fingertips in paint and across paper in my classroom or at home. 

This is Why Web 2.0... I need to learn how to teach to them in a way that learning is exciting and interesting,  I want them to choose to be present (not just physically sitting there ) in my class and motivate them be an active learner who contributes to their own education and that of others in a positive and constructive way and see the benefits of it.  I want them to know that what they have to say is important... I want them to be motivated to think outside the box and tell others about it. Mostly, I want to "Teach them how to think, not what to think!" This, is and has been my philosophy since before day 1 in my own classroom. We are teaching students who learn differently than we did, not so long ago...  just the five years ago when I wore my cap and gown on graduation day from college, the world was a different place. It has changed drastically...the "I need and/ or I am entitled to" attitude has definitely came into play.... and in my opinion mostly due to the fast pace of society and the need to be instantly gratified that has evolved due to the access and opportunities the changes in the world have provided for the next generations. One thing that HAS NOT changed about the world, and especally that of education, is the need to teach them to be problem solvers and the need for them to be self sufficient at being good problem solvers, this skill is one needed not only in the classroom but in all aspects of the world and all walks of life within it. This Web 2.0 journey is my attempt at becoming a better problem solver. Throwing myself into much needed information and being completely lost and confused, to better benefit our learning and teaching. I am prepping my digital palette in order to cover this blank canvas, come along with me and we can create a masterpiece together, we'll pass the paintbrush back and forth... ready, set,  it might take a minute... I have to figure this out as I go, be patient I am learning...

3 comments:

  1. "One thing that HAS NOT changed about the world, and especally that of education, is the need to teach them to be problem solvers and the need for them to be self sufficient at being good problem solvers, this skill is one needed not only in the classroom but in all aspects of the world and all walks of life within it. " - YES YES YES - I love that you said this Shelly, this is what I want my kids to learn (the ones I teach and the ones that live in my house).

    I love the name of your blog and quotes you found - WTG Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know... I didn't the find quotes I wanted... this is why it took me so long...my need to say what I think in a objective way always seems to slow me down! I had to find the "right" way to say it.... Glad to have pleased my media "goddess" and thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, you have created a beautiful blog space and your reflections are beautiful as well. I connected to your blank canvas experience in my "writing world." I had always wondered why students could be so intimidated with a blank sheet of paper. After all, everyone has a story to tell! A few years ago, I had a writing prompt as part of the admin interview process in Gwinnett County. It suddenly dawned on me why students just sometimes can't get going on a topic! The light bulb flashed on for me, and it truly helped me see how difficult writing can be for others.

    Keep up the good work on the blog.

    ReplyDelete